Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Best Product for Quick Popcorn Ceiling Repair?

Old 07-16-07, 07:05 AM

I am trying to patch a 1.5' x 2.5' area where someone in the attic stepped thru my popcorn ceiling. I have used medium coarse Hormex aerosol cans, but they are are expensive and the stuff shoots everywhere. Is there a better cheaper product out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to either use an aersol can of popcorn or mix up popcorn and spray it thru a hopper gun - both methods are equally messy. Anything that can't be shielded from the texture spray must be covered up!

Occasionally you can get by with dabbing the texture on but this is really limitted to repairs that are only a few inches in diameter.

Old 07-16-07, 08:51 AM
I've never tried it with popcorn but I have had success with knockdown and a spray job using a dash brush. You could maybe use a whisk broom. Don't fling it out of the brush but use your hand to bend the bristles back and let them flip forward to put the texture on the ceiling. This is slow, still messy and it might not work. But it's cheap to try.

Old 07-16-07, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your replies, but apparently there is no quick easy fix!

Old 07-16-07, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
the only quick easy fix is to let someone else do the cover up and clean up

Old 07-17-07, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can rent hoppers and air tanks, this is the only way to go. and Yes, you will probably have more on the ground than sticks to the ceiling, it is very messy. Double cover everything and wear disposable shoe covers as you will track it all over if you step in it.

If you buy a dry popcorn mix from the box stores, get the one from Lowes not HDepot. For some reason, the HDepot brand does not stick very well. I have greater luck with the one from Lowes.

Be patient, take multiple passes and let it dry between coats. Blend it well out from the edge of the repair to hide it into the rest of the ceiling. You will probably need to paint the ceiling to completely blend the repair. I recommend spraying the paint instead of rolling. The popcorn will release from the ceiling and get all over your roller. If you are not comfortable spraying, you may need to hire that out.

Old 07-18-07, 07:21 AM
cz,

I tend to agree w/ you. I doubt I will ever achive a good cosmetic outcome w/ the aerosol cans.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-07, 12:40 PM
I watered down joint compound and applied it with a really thick nap roller. It came out looking pretty good. No one could tell the difference.

Old 07-20-07, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
KevinB - I think RoseRX is looking for popcorn ceiling repair ideas, your suggestion seems more suited for a stipple or textured ceiling finish. Mixing popcorn mix into joint compound may work, but a rolled technique may not match a sprayed look. You also have to water it down sufficiently to get the material to release from the roller and stick to the ceiling. I have my doubts.

BTW- nearly forgot to mention, be sure to prime the area with paint before spraying the popcorn patch. It will help with adhesion.