Repairing Plaster over Wood Picture Frame

Old 08-14-07, 05:02 PM
Repairing Plaster over Wood Picture Frame

Hi:

I've recently gotten a very decorative plaster over wood picture frame. One of the bottom corners is broken off. The problem (at least I think it's a problem) is that the corners are mirror opposites. Can anyone tell me the how to's of plaster repair and if there is a way to create mirror opposite repairs or does it take a skilled artisan?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-07, 11:34 AM
Do some research on molding and casting. Make a mold of the good corner and turn it inside out and make a cast of that. If there is a good matching piece on the diagonal then make a mold and cast that. Don't laugh. A cake decorator might be able to make a new piece close enough that you can carve the rest out with carving tools. A Dremel mototool might work. And if you are not artistic enough there is probably someone among your friends who is. you might be able to get it done for the cost of a nice meal.

Old 08-16-07, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions...I am fairly artistic so I plan to try and do this myself but it's kind of scary when you have no idea how to proceed...am still doing research.

You wouldn't happen to know what the process is for creating a mold would you? Is there something that creates a rubbery mold?

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-07, 10:15 AM
I've never messed with molding and casting. Google molding and casting or some permutation of that and you will find some web sites about it and companies that sell the stuff. There has to be someone around you who can help you. I figure you can do this either of two ways. Form the cast on a flat surface and let it dry thoroughly and then stick it to the frame or put it directly on the frame and form it there wet. There is probably some treatment you need to give the frame to assure the wet plaster will bond if you do it that way. Maybe PlasterWeld will work. You might have to buy a gallon of PlasterWeld to get the teaspoon full you need.