Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plaster Patching Tips needed

09-06-07, 12:51 PM   #1  
Plaster Patching Tips needed

Hi

I am in the process of replacing the corners with bullnose. I have removed the old metal, installed the bullnose metal and added a coat of plaster to cover the gap between the metal and wall. I tried to put a final coat using Joint Compound I purchased at Home Depot however, when I apply the material, I get holes similar to Swiss cheese. Any tips on what material to use and how to apply a finsih coat is highly appreciated.

Njarif

Sponsored Links

CAL

09-06-07, 12:59 PM   #2  
Are you working on plaster or drywall? Are you installing plaster bullnose or drywall bullnose?

09-06-07, 01:47 PM   #3  
Tightcoat

Thank you for your interest. I am working on drywalls and added bullnose metal intended for drywall. I used premixed Joint Compound for a first coat then waited 24 hrs, snaded it and applied a second coat after thinning it with water and mixed it with a mixer attached to my drill. The second coat has produced air bubbles that made the mud look like swiss cheese. How to avoid this problem and get a descent finish?

Thanks

Njarif

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-07, 01:57 PM   #4  
You got air bubbles in it when you mixed it. Another thin coat of mud pulled across the repair should fill in the little holes.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

09-06-07, 02:09 PM   #5  
Hi marksr

Thanks for the tip. I will try to pull in another coat. Is there a tip on avoiding getting air bubbles when mixing the mud?

Thanks
Njarif

Search this Thread