Drywall Problem next to brick fireplace

Old 10-15-07, 07:57 AM
Drywall Problem next to brick fireplace

I am in the process of removing wallpaper so that I can paint. When I removed the wallpaper next to the brick fireplace there seems to be something wrong. (I am a beginner at the DIY stuff!) The edges of the wallpaper were already curling up & when I removed it the drywall tape pulled right off & revealed all these crumbling edges next to the fireplace. (note: there is no molding between the drywall & the brick.) What it the best way to repair this so it will be smooth for painting & air tight?
thanks-lfm

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-07, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First you will need to remove any loose paper/mud and prime those areas with a solvent based primer. I doubt you will be able to completely finish the job with joint compound - I usually mud what I can and then when I'm done with the finishing, I'll caulk between the drywall and the brick.

Old 10-16-07, 05:30 AM
Fireplace

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Would you attempt to put any of the foam insulation (in a can) in the open space? LFM

Old 10-16-07, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't but if you feel you must - use the kind that doesn't expand much. It would be difficult to remove any excess that gets on the brick