Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

patching plastered ceiling and...

MI

11-01-07, 03:48 AM   #1  
patching plastered ceiling and...

...dry walling entire ceiling.

Hello, I am a handyman here in Frankenmuth Mi.. I am tearing out a kitchen for a customer. Gutting it might be a better word. I open a wall to have another access to the D.R. Soffits were removed and considerable damaged occurred and was expected.

The home owner wants me to patch the ceiling and then re-drywall over the top. I'll do what ever he wants. But I truly believe the plastered ceiling should come down. Then fresh dry wall install.

What do you think?
Thank you
rob

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-01-07, 04:22 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums Rob

I agree tearing out the plaster would make for a better job but.......... it would also make a big mess What's above the kitchen? attic or living space?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

WI

11-01-07, 05:22 AM   #3  
This is one of those times when the contractor is asking for more money and the homeowner thinks you're just doing it for the money. Your job now is to educate the homeowner so they understand why it needs to be done your way instead of theirs.

MI

11-01-07, 05:30 AM   #4  
what's above?

...attic. Money is not an issue here, surprisingly. The mess is.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-01-07, 06:56 AM   #5  
Since the attic is over the ceiling, you would have to contend with insulation [and extra dust] Not a big problem if the insulation is batts but if it was blown in.......

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

11-01-07, 09:07 PM   #6  
All is well and...

...thank you. Not only did the ceiling come down but the walls did too. Batts insulation. Now the job will be done proper. Thanks responders!

Last edited by r.simon; 11-01-07 at 09:09 PM. Reason: add on

Search this Thread