Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Grat room drywall ceiling repairs

11-10-07, 01:01 PM   #1  
Grat room drywall ceiling repairs

Hello... new here... hope to get some good information. Recently purchased a home with a high ceilinged "great room" type area. The ceiling is about 4' across the top, flat, about the width of a sheet of sheetrock. The (2) decending sides are angled down to the 8' level. My problem is a very poor seaming job where the flat and angles joints meet at the top. (2) seams... approximately 18'... the length of the room. When I moved in it was not to bad but has increased now. It would appear that whoever did the work was not very good at it.

I am contemplating breaking out all the irregular and cracking material from the joints and starting from there.

Any advice about the rest? Tape, mesh tape, type compound, caulk, etc.? Would not like to have to revisit this again and would like to do it correctly the first time.

Any and all advice is welcome... regards... Ken

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

11-10-07, 02:39 PM   #2  
Paper tape - it's not intuitive, but it's actually stronger.

Group Moderator

NE

11-10-07, 02:53 PM   #3  
I would guess that it's also possible that the cracks had nothing to do with the skill of the taping, but could be due to seasonal movement in the framing. Especially since you say that it was "not as bad when you moved in" and that it has "increased now".

I wouldn't be suprised if you fixed all the joints and they eventually failed again after a few seasons of expansion and contraction. But maybe some metal reinforced paper tape would help prevent cracking and keep those angles straight as well.

IL

11-11-07, 08:28 AM   #4  
You need to rent a scaffold for this job. They do have interior ones that would work for you. Then rip out as much as possible. Put screws in every stud/joist about 4 inches from corner. You may need a few in each wood. Then use this special corner tape made for 135 degree corners. It is a very hard plastic type tape. I know Menard's has this tape. Use Durabond regular 90 set for the first coat as this is the strongest compound. Put a generous amount of this BEHIND the tape keeping the front of the tape clean. Do not cover the tape. Then use easy sand over the tape just to hide the seam but again make sure the tape "floats". With movement the tape will flex but there will not be too much compound over the tape to crack. The key to making this easy will be the removal of the old tape. Try to get it all.

Good Luck.

Search this Thread