Can I really SKIMCOAT?

Old 11-11-07, 05:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Can I really SKIMCOAT?

I have old plaster walls and some are very pock-marked. A friend of mine had the same and told me she simply mixed very very thin plaster and used her hands to spread it over the walls. I saw the walls and they were PERFECT. But this was about 15 yrs ago and I've lost contact with her.
Can I REALLY do this? Has anyone ELSE done this? If so, what kind of "plaster" do I get? Do I have to do anything to the wall before this, other than just clean it well?

Old 11-12-07, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't want to apply plaster or joint compound with my hands I'd apply a thin coat of j/c with a broad knife and lightly sand when dry.

Old 11-12-07, 06:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Head to the building materials section of your local big box store - they'll have everything you need. I agree with Mark about using drywall knives instead of your hands.

Old 11-12-07, 03:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
She used her hands but I would guess there was a 12 or 14 inch knife or trowel in between the hands and walls. Cleaning the walls is a good idea. Another idea is to apply a stain killing primer to the walls and wait 24 hours. Pick up a bucket of this new heavy dust joint compound to help keep down the dust this will all cause. Its in a gray bucket next to the other USG joint compounds. If you never skimcoated before....well your arms are in for an awakening. The primer will help on eliminating any adhesion problems wall to joint compound.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: