Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

repairing external walls

11-17-07, 02:16 PM   #1  
repairing external walls

I'm having a problem with my external walls in the basement. It seems that the previous owners put a garden in the back yard that was too high and water seeped into the air vents on the brick. I have recently removed the dirt and now I have roughly 3" of foundation showing. But now I have the problem of the walls bowing out where the foundation and wall butt together. The paint started to peel away from the wall as well as the thin layer (I assume it's plaster) compound that is on the foundation part of the wall. What compound is it I should use on the concrete part of the foundation? Is there any other prep work that needs to be done besides scraping the old away and cleaning the surface? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-18-07, 04:36 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I assume you have stucco on the foundation? You can buy ready mix bags of stucco at the big box stores - just add water, mix and trowel on. It will stick to a clean, fairly dry, unpainted surface.

It is best to coat any below grade stucco with a foundation tar to further waterproof the wall.

"But now I have the problem of the walls bowing out where the foundation and wall butt together."
Could you explain this further? Is the stucco just coming loose making the bulge or is this a foundation [structual] problem?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-18-07, 06:32 AM   #3  
the plaster itself has bowed away from the base coat, and the base coat has come away from the concret foundation wall. I started to demo the wall to see further and the base coat (sandy compound) has separated in certain areas of the wall. OI know the moisture came from the garden the previous owners had. I since removed that and I'm trying to let the walls dry out. I know there is no foundation leaks....I had that checked out (home insepctor). I'm thinking now that after I fix the wall I should build it out and put proper insulation on the external walls. We find it is always cold in the basement. I just want to repair the wall and air pockets before doing so. What is the best products to use for the plaster base coat and for the plaster itself?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-18-07, 09:43 AM   #4  
Plaster is an interior product while stucco is used on the exterior. I'm not a mason but I think the top coat and the base coat of stucco are the same product - just applied a little differently to promote the adhesion of the top coat.

You might try reposting your question in the brick and masonary section of the forums

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-18-07, 03:52 PM   #5  
Thnx for your help.....I'll try posting there.

Search this Thread