Replace or repair wall indent

Old 11-20-07, 11:44 AM
Replace or repair wall indent

My drywall in the bedroom has an indentation in the sheetrock. It looks like it was a poor patch where someone tore a wire down the wall. It's about 1" wide and 1.5' long going from a switch in the wall towards the floor. At the top of the indent where it meets the switch it looks like someone cut the switch out at an angle making the edge "soft" due to it being thinner. Regardless of the creation of the indent it looks like someone patched it and painted over it awhile ago. The indent isn't that deep but I've been torn about how to fix it.

Would my best option be to use a real wide blade and mud over it or would I be better replacing a section of sheetrock?

Would like to fix this soon so I can get the bedroom painted and get rid of the purplish color it currently has.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-07, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
I'd just fill it with joint compound and the blade only has to be wider than the width of the gap you're filling.

Old 11-20-07, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
At that location you aren't going to be pounding any nails into the wall, so I 2nd the motion about just patching.

But I'm curious about the channel at that location. Am wondering if someone fished electrical wire into the switchbox and came out through the sheetrock, instead of through the inside of the wall into the switchbox. I'd open up that switchbox and take a look just so you know what is going on here - to see if there is some hidden Romex wire just below the surface and imbedded in mud.

Old 11-21-07, 08:17 AM
I thought it was from a Romex wire too. With the indent running to the switch that was my first impression. I have opened up the switch and all the Romex wires run up to the ceiling and none go down. Unless it was to up out of the box and cut back down I don't believe I have any wires below the box. Maybe they fished a wire from downstairs to run to my ceiling light.

Thanks for the respond. I'm going to fix it and get rid of my purple walls. purple.

Old 11-21-07, 11:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If say there was a live wire in the wall there, a wire tracer electronic tool would let you know if you had one. Them are great little inexpensive tools and kids are impressed by how they work too. Let us know how your repair goes.