Help! Window Ledge needs repair

Old 12-11-07, 01:15 PM
Help! Window Ledge needs repair

My daughter took a scissor and dug into the plaster /drywall that makes up her window ledge in her room. She is Autistic and 13, and it looks like she has done this over a long period of time. I just discovered it today. There is a large dug out hole in the middle and on the end of the ledge. How do I repair something like this? Can I fill it with something to patch it? I did not notice it before because her dresser is in front of the window and I am not handy. UGH!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-07, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
You might consider just covering it up with a wood or laminate stool (window sill) that has ears on each side that extend beyond the opening a few inches, and a small apron down below it.

If you try and fix it, it might happen again! Kids will be kids! Of course if you want to patch it, you'd want a small bucket of joint compound, give it several coats, sanding between each coat until you're satisfied with how it looks.

Old 12-11-07, 02:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it painted?, or stained wood?

If painted just putty knife wood filler across it, sand and paint.

If stained you can buy prestained woodfillers or add some stain to it and putty it on more carefully and then sand out some and restain entire sill. And coat sill with either stain poyurethane combo or seperately, for nice shine and durability.

Or XSleeper's suggestion.

Old 12-23-07, 11:45 AM
It is not wood, it is just dry wall