Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Red stain mystery

12-13-07, 10:03 AM   #1  
Red stain mystery

Hi all,

I had some sheetrock work done at my house on a bathroom about 1 year ago. Most of the corners have developed a red stain at the edge. At first I thought it was some kind of mold, this does not seem to be the case. What I believe is happening, is the sheetrock corner bead is rusting and bleeding through the paint. Is this a common problem?

Thanks Bob

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-13-07, 11:04 AM   #2  
Is it more brown than red?

Corner beads rust every now and then. A good coat of solvent based primer usually stops/prevents the rust from bleeding thru.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

12-14-07, 09:17 PM   #3  
Sounds like rust to me. Maybe the paint job comes to mind. Not enough cure time after the work combined w/ paint job and showering. marksr is right on the solvent primer to just get rid of it.

12-17-07, 12:53 PM   #4  
Thanks,

When you say "solvent primer" that is just an oil base primer as opposed to Latex?

Bob

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-17-07, 03:06 PM   #5  
Solvent primer covers both oil base and pigmented shellac. Pigmented shellac is the ultimate quick drying, stain sealing primer - it's also the stinkiest. Most interior oil primers should be fine for what you need.

12-17-07, 03:50 PM   #6  
I know I put Latex primer on that wall. Should oil based primer be used as a rule for wet areas such as a bath?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-17-07, 04:03 PM   #7  
Generally a latex primer is fine for all new drywall applications although oil base will seal beter than latex. The main thing is to use an enamel in a bath or other damp interior areas. Latex enamel is fine and any sheen will work.

Interior solvent based primers are usually reserved for problem areas like sealing stains or adhering to problem surfaces - like when changing from oil base paint to latex.

Search this Thread