Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall ceiling circle cutters?

IN

12-23-07, 08:49 PM   #1  
Drywall ceiling circle cutters?

I believe I have seen in the box stores a adjustable circle cutter for drywall???

I need to cut in old work several drywall holes so as to install round plastic ceiling boxes. I need to cut a clean circle of 4 inches, and would such do the job? Any tips on using such is most welcome. I assume the cutter will be driven by a drill?

Thanks,

Dale

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-24-07, 03:59 AM   #2  
Yes they are powered by a drill although I've never used one.
IMO it is better to use a 4" hole saw - it's easier and possibly neater

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

12-24-07, 07:29 AM   #3  
They also sell a cutout tool. It works like a compass with a point on one end and a sharp wheel on the other. Find your center, adjust your tool for the radius and score.

12-24-07, 08:00 AM   #4  
and to finish coops direction:

cut with a jab saw.

If you can get a hole saw, that is the cleanest.

If you only have a few, the tool coops speaks of is good or if you are as cheap as I am, you may try to find a jar lid or other circle shaped thing to trace around and cut with a drywall saw.
never used the tool you speak of. Never seen it used either. I would take that as a recommendation as it is not anybody's tool of choice.

IN

12-24-07, 04:16 PM   #5  
Thank you, FOR SURE.

I looked at the circle cutters and they say to score on BOTH sides of the drywall, so won't work for drywall already hanging.

I used a JAB SAW, after I made up a circle pattern and penciled in a good line.

Thanks again,

Dale

Search this Thread