Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

How to fix ridge between drywall patch and existing wall?

Old 02-15-08, 10:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I had my plumbing replaced and the drywall people patched the holes in the wall without removing the wallpaper underneath. Therefore when I removed the wallpaper, it left an obvious ridge between the new drywall and the old wall. I spackled the ridge and sanded it down, but you can still see the ridge. I primed the wall hoping it wouldn't be too obvious, but it is. Are there are other suggestions for smoothing out this ridge? I'm not really looking for a complicated solution as I don't have a lot of time or money, but am hoping there is an easy way to do this so I don't have to hire a professional. Thanks!

Old 02-15-08, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
They should have removed enough wallpaper to finish the wall correctly but......

You need to apply joint compound. Spackling can't be applied heavy enough. Basically you need to cover the transistion [especially the low side] with j/c and feather it out several inches. Sand and repeat as needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: