Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best method for patching concrete?

NM

01-31-08, 03:40 AM   #1  
Best method for patching concrete?

We are remodeling our house which has concrete walls inside and out. we will be doing a lot of channeling for the installation of pipe and conduit. We want to patch and paint what is the best method and materials for smooth and strong patching? plaster bond then bondex? plaster bond then cement? other?
Thank you for your time and effort here, and God bless you!

Sponsored Links

01-31-08, 09:39 PM   #2  
“Dry sacking”

General tools & supplies:
Portland cement
Masonry Sand
Two plastic pails
Margin Trowel(s)
Spray bottle
Old paint brush

In a dry container mix together: 1 part Portland cement with 3 parts masonry sand.

Clean the patch area of dust & derbies; then moisten with a spray bottle. Remove excess water.

In another container, slowly add water to a portion of the dry mix, mixing continually. Aim for a stiff consistency. The mixture, when squeezed in your hand should stick together (not crumble) and not leave excess moisture in your palm. Wear gloves, Portland cement is alkaline.

The “wet” mix is placed in the area to be patch. Moderate to very heavy pressure from the margin trowel is applied to make it adhere. The patch area is overfilled slightly.

Next is the process of “burning” (finishing the patch level with the surrounding area). Work the margin trowel with light; then increasing pressure, in multiple directions. “Spread” the mix to the sides & ends equally. The patch should be too high. Turn the trowel on edge & gently scrape the excess away working toward the center of the patch (do not reuse). Brush away scrapings. Repeat: work the margin trowel with light; then increasing pressure, in multiple directions. When level, or near level, dust with dry mix then use heavier pressure to smooth the patch. (Misting, then applying dry mix, is sometimes necessary).

Practice make perfect.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

02-01-08, 05:41 PM   #3  
I'd like to add to the responder's suggestions that anytime you are trying to patch ANYthing, including caulk-patching, that after you clean and prep the area, you can ensure the best bond by 'working in' the fill material with your fingers, in various directions, or a spiral motion. And then you can KNOW that the fill-product is 'taking'.

In the case of concrete, you can use a brush when 'working in' some of the concrete patch material. THEN pack and skim. I have been very successful at such cold joint patch repairs where it sticks without falling out. This is without even using vinyl patch material!

I just came from a rental I patched the front concrete stoop with, about 2 years ago. The fill ( I used mortar mix) that spanned the cracks in the stoop, even though the cracks have reappeared due to expansion and contraction, is still stuck tight to the concrete stoop, even though the outside temps have varied from 96 degrees (more in the sun) down to about 20 below zero!

Search this Thread