Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thinning knockdown with paint?

02-04-08, 01:43 PM   #1  

I have been in several stores lately that have a two tone effect to the knockdown. It is a very strikng effect and uses a wide varity of colors. My questions is how do they do this?
Can you thin the knockdown mud with paint or do you paint the base and tint the mud that you spray on top of it. If you tint the mud do you have to spray something( like a clear coat) on top of it.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-04-08, 03:36 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

I've never done so but would assume the only way you could do it would be to first paint/prime the wall with the first color and then tint the texture for the top color.

Applying a water based poly when finished will protect the colors [especially the colored mud]

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

02-05-08, 08:43 AM   #3  

Thanks for the help, I think I am going to try this if I can find the proper tint for the mud, any suggestions?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-05-08, 02:26 PM   #4  
I'd ask at a paint store [not dept] or a drywall supply house. You would probably want to use a colorant like they tint paint with. If you wind up using paint, you would need to use a dark paint to get a light color.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

02-05-08, 03:22 PM   #5  
They have tintable textures out there, check with several of the higher end paint stores (not box stores) to see who carries them.

Here is the link to one Brand - http://coronadopaint.com/viewCat.asp?catID=19

02-06-08, 01:06 PM   #6  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Search this Thread