help with ceiling sheetrock

Old 02-18-08, 05:26 AM
help with ceiling sheetrock

We are remodeling our kitchen and removed the ceiling to repair a plumbing problem for the upstairs. I also wanted recessed lighting so that is in. The question is: I wanted to put back slick ceilings in the kitchen. I was told that it was not a good idea as the texturing was a good sound insulator. Is that true? If so, how can I get a decent looking texture, not popcorn, on my ceiling. We have that I like in the rest of the house but I do not know how to reproduce it.

I have a soffitt that connects to the ceiling. I would like to get a really smooth transition between the ceiling and the soffitt because I intend to paint the soffitt the color of the wall and don't want it to look altered. How do I accomplish this fine feathering?

I have used mesh tape and paper tape and find different disadvantages to each such as sanding down to them. Any suggestions for me in that regard?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 05:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paper tape is superior to the 'sticky' tape!

A heavy popcorn texture can reduce sound but most other textures would have a minimal difference compared to a slick finish. Kitchens and baths aren't good locations for popcorn.

As long as the soffit is hung and finished correctly there shouldn't be any issues with applying color. After the tape coat you might find it easier to just mud one side at a time. Using a block sander will also help to make for a crisp angle.