Recessed Shelf

Old 02-18-08, 06:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed Shelf

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes.

I am looking to add a recessed opening (shelf) into an interior (hollow) wall. There is drywall on both sides of the wall but I only want to open up one side. Can anyone recommend any sites that would have instructions/guidlines on how to accomplish this?

Old 02-18-08, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
is the opening only going to be between studs? how big? for small(14 1/2 in. wide) find the studs and cut drywall alongside them as long as needed. install a 2x4 top and bottom for framing and finish. if it needs to be wider, find out if it is a supporting wall. if so, a header will be in order for the top. more info;better answer.

Old 02-19-08, 06:56 AM
J
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I hope that it will only be between 2 wall studs. I really thought that there was more to it than just cutting a hole and framing it.

Old 02-19-08, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
While it would be best to add a 2x top and bottom, you can build the shelves [like a miniture bookcase] slightly smaller than the opening you've cut and nail it in place - a piece of trim will hide the drywall cut edge.

Be sure there isn't any elec or plumbing in the wall before you cut it open.

Old 02-19-08, 01:38 PM
J
There definitely isn't any plumbing/electrical where this opening will go. Also, it will only be 1 shelf, basically one opening with the shelf being the bottom.

What is the best way to attach the 2x4 to the top and bottom of the opening and how will I keep them level?

Old 02-19-08, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
use a level or measure from the floor(presuming it is level). you can add a block of 2x 1 1/2 inches up/down from where you want the finished rough opening. use screws, easier. however, as marksr said, you could just build a square box and attach it. you won't, however, have anything to nail the trim to on top/bottom except corners.(not very large it may not matter.)

Old 02-19-08, 07:43 PM
J
Not really looking to trim out the opening. Just basically drywall all around. Kind of like an opening in the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: