Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Why bubble if i used mesh tape on drywall?

Why bubble if i used mesh tape on drywall?

Old 02-21-08, 07:51 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Why bubble if i used mesh tape on drywall?

My tools: Mesh Tape | compound | putty knife | sandpaper | utility knife

I have about 2 x 8 hole and I cleaned the area first using the sandpaper and utility knife.

I applied the mesh tape cover the 2 x 8 hole.

I applied the first coat compound on top of the mesh tape and I can see the mesh tape bubbling out (hump).

So, right now I stop because not sure what to do.

Should I put more compound to push it in the mesh?

Old 02-21-08, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Mr_Helpme

You have to have some sort of backing in a hole that big. Something for the tape to adhere to and provide support.

Normally, you'd cut a piece of drywall the same thickness as what you have. Make it slightly smaller than the opening. Insert some backerboards (1 x 3, 1 x 4) into the hole, so that they overlap the edges. Screw the boards thru the existing drywall at the edges of the hole. Place your patch in the hole and screw thru it into the boards. Then tape and mud the seams and mud the screwheads.

Old 02-21-08, 09:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
I agree, a 2"x 8" hole is too big for tape alone. I'd either use the method discribed above or cut a 4"x 10" piece of drywall, remove the excess rock from the back side [leaving a solid piece slightly smaller than the hole] and use the excess paper on the front of the patch piece as your tape, then mud it in place.

Old 02-21-08, 09:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: