Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Found Plaster over paneling all over home

02-22-08, 05:53 AM   #1  
Found Plaster over paneling all over home

My house must have had paneling in every single room at one time. In the kitchen and master bedroom, the paneling has a layer of plaster over it. In the kitchen there are 2 layers of wall paper on top of the plaster. I would love to remove the wallpaper but am afraid that thin layer of plaster will be damaged/and or chunk off. I am not familiar with plastered walls. Can they end up looking as good as sheetrocked wall when painted? I assume to look really good, I would need to hire a professional. It is a lot of wall, and I would think imperfections would be very visible if not done correctly. I really don't know any other alternative for this kitchen, but to go back with the plaster so I can have painted walls. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-22-08, 08:57 AM   #2  
How thick is this layer of "plaster" over the paneling? Is there anything behind the paneling other than studs,etc?

I suspect someone may have just applied a thin coat of joint compound over the paneling to make it look like plaster/drywall. If so, it would be best to replace the paneling with drywall although you should be able to reapply any j/c that falls off of the paneling.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

02-22-08, 11:53 AM   #3  
The plaster is not very thick, maybe 1/8 inch if that much. It does not sound like there is anything behind the paneling. Just nailed to studs. It is a lot of wall space. I am sure some of it will come down if it is hard to get the stupid wallpaper off.

I am not very handy, so the thought of putting up drywall with all the existing moldings, cabinets, windows, doors seems like nothing would fit right. How do you fix the thickness differential between paneling and drywall around all the objects.

Also, what is the difference between joint compound and plaster. Does it make a difference?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-22-08, 01:00 PM   #4  
Unless you intend to replace the cabinets, it might be more trouble than it's worth to hang drywall in the kitchen. it is possible to hang drywall up to the cabinets without removing them but it wouldn't be easy.

Casing, baseboard and crown moulding are removed prior to hanging drywall and refitted and reinstalled when the drywall work is done.

I don't know a lot about plaster but it is a lot harder to work with than joint compound is. usually only the pro plasterers are the only ones that will work with plaster. You should be able to reskim any of the areas that fall off, with joint compound. Basically you apply a thin layer with a broad knife, smoothing it the best you can and then sand as needed when dry.

02-22-08, 03:18 PM   #5  
Thanks for the input. I worry that it will not be an even surface when I get done and won't look well painted. What I was thinking is to just get the wall paper off and try to patch and even out as much as possible. Then if I don't like it maybe put up some thick paintable wallpaper as a last resort. My husband will have a heart attach if I tell him we need to drywall the entire kitchen.

TN

02-22-08, 04:16 PM   #6  
and i thought i had heard of everything!! plaster over paneling???? WOW! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

02-23-08, 06:20 AM   #7  
That is not the worst of it. In my bedroom they plastered over the paneling also, but no wallpaper, just painted. But what is worse is that at every paneling joint, the plaster has a thin crack from floor to ceiling. Evidently they didn't tape the joints or nail them down better. So when it flexes, which thin paneling does, the cracks appeared. I tried patching once, but the cracks just reappeared. So I will have to address that once I finish the kitchen.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

02-23-08, 06:30 AM   #8  
It is not so much that they did a bad job of skim coating over the paneling but that paneling isn't a good substrate for joint compound or plaster.

Search this Thread