Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Repairing nail holes in Vinyl wallboard of modular home

Repairing nail holes in Vinyl wallboard of modular home

Old 02-22-08, 02:20 PM
Red face Repairing nail holes in Vinyl wallboard of modular home

I have just moved into a 1994 modular home and am attempting to repair the picture holes in the vinyl wallboard left by the former owner. I don't know what the former owner was hanging from every available inch of wall, but the holes are numerous to say the least. No matter how small or big the hole, there is always a "lump" around the hole. Even when I use hole filler and try and smooth it and/or feather it...you can still see it. Any suggestions for a better result?? At this point I'm almost ready to just wallpaper right over top or re-board.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MH wall board is usually 1/4" drywall with a vinyl face.

You need to push the area of the hole in a little. Sinking the hole gives you a better area to fill and will allow you to fill it evenly. I usually use the end of my putty knife to push it in. You could also use a hammer to gently tap it in.

Even if you wallpaper, it would be best to fix the holes first - otherwise they might show thru the paper. You can also paint the walls but they need a good bonding type primer first.

Old 02-25-08, 08:32 AM
Thanks! I'll try that.