Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

I patched the drywall and used a primer BUT

I patched the drywall and used a primer BUT

Old 02-27-08, 08:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I patched the drywall and used a primer BUT

Here it goes.. wish you can help me understand.

I patched a hole and sand it to level with the wall.
BTW.. the wall is white.
I got a primer from Home Depot Premium PLus

So, I primer the area where it is needed and outside of the patch. But when the primer dried up..the area I patched is whiter than the area that is not patched. I did sand the other side of the patch.

Why does the patched hole looks whiter than the other wall?

edit: only using 1 coat run of primer. and yes a cleaned the area fist.

sample:
| ------------ |
---------------------

Last edited by Mr_Helpme; 02-27-08 at 09:00 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-28-08, 05:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
First off, the paints/primer available at the big box stores are rarely equal in quality to the coatings available at a paint store.

2nd, primer is formulated to suck in and seal the substrate. The area around the patch is aready sealed, so the primer won't suck in like it does over raw drywall/mud.

Generally 1 coat of primer is all that is needed and you can top coat with no issues but not being familiar with that primer [and to play it safe] it might be a good idea to apply 1 more coat of primer.

Old 02-28-08, 05:57 AM
M
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
2nd, primer is formulated to suck in and seal the substrate. The area around the patch is aready sealed, so the primer won't suck in like it does over raw drywall/mud.
So, if I paint over the primer ..(color brown) paint. i won't be able to see a round patch on the wall, like what i see now on the primer.

I may apply more coat of primer.

last question.. got any trick on priming or painting a corner? i.e. corner between ceiling and wall.

Old 02-28-08, 06:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
After painting there shouldn't be a color difference between the previously painted area and the primed area. There can be a texture difference if the patch is ultra smooth and the other areas have a texture [even a roller stipple] -that might show.

There really isn't any "trick" to cutting in the angles. the main thing is to use a quality brush [a 2" or 2.5" purdy sash brush would be a good choice] and practice, practice, practice

I suppose using a straight edge [like a wide taping knife] might help you to cut a straight line - be sure to wipe clean often to avoid paint transfer.

Old 02-28-08, 06:32 AM
M
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
After painting there shouldn't be a color difference between the previously painted area and the primed area. There can be a texture difference if the patch is ultra smooth and the other areas have a texture [even a roller stipple] -that might show.
Do you recommend to apply another coat of brown paint if the area patched still shows?

There really isn't any "trick" to cutting in the angles. the main thing is to use a quality brush [a 2" or 2.5" purdy sash brush would be a good choice] and practice, practice, practice
Yes. Right now i'm using a paint brush but i'm painting horizontal and the roller vertical. So, when you look at the top it shows the difference of stroke.

Old 02-28-08, 12:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Mr_Helpme View Post
Do you recommend to apply another coat of brown paint if the area patched still shows?
Hopefully you can determine before you apply the color if there is a "texture" discrepency between the patch and the rest of the wall. It would be better to roll paint on the patch, let it dry and then repaint the entire wall.

Originally Posted by Mr_Helpme View Post
Yes. Right now i'm using a paint brush but i'm painting horizontal and the roller vertical. So, when you look at the top it shows the difference of stroke.
It helps to roll as tight as you can to the ceiling. Since you are having trouble with it you might want to get on a ladder and roll horizontally close to the ceiling and then roll the rest of the wall vertically. This should help to eliminate or at least minimize the difference between brush and roller.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: