small water spot on ceiling

Old 03-04-08, 06:06 PM
small water spot on ceiling

Hello,

I hope that it's OK to start a new thread. I have a problem with a ceiling that I hope somebody can help me with.

Background: I caught a small leak in the floor above the kitchen before it could get too far, but some water must have seeped through the floorboards. This is what the resulting spot looked like on my kitchen ceiling:

The hole is from where I poked a screw through to let the water drip out. At least, I *thought* I let the water drip out ...

Because I blew it dry with a hair dryer, on 'cool' and 'low', and let it sit for a while. Then I sealed the water stain with sealant, and patched the hole with caulk.

But now it looks like this:

It's not too terribly big (my hand is a reference in the 2nd photo), but I'd like to fix it, all the same. I figure that there must still be water sitting between the floors - otherwise why would it drip through again?

So ... what should I do now?

Thanks for your help - and if these images take up too much space, please let me know so I can edit appropriately.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-08, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than the hole itself is the drywall solid? is it dry now?

Remove any mold/mildew, then mud and tape.

Old 03-05-08, 05:30 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The drywall / caulk surrounding the hole is actually still damp; it bends back when I nudge it with a fingertip.

Old 03-05-08, 05:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The drywall needs to be dry before you attempt any repairs.
Is there any insulation in that area? insulation can trap moisture Are you positive you fixed the leak?