Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hole in wall, old fireplace

03-21-08, 05:16 PM   #1  
Hole in wall, old fireplace

Hello, seems there are a lot of helpful people here so I thought I would join the community and ask a question.

I recently urchased a home and we close on the 28th of this month but before we move in there are some things we would like to fix within the home. In the master bedroom there is a hole where a functional fireplace once was, well it is still there but is no longer used. It seems that at one point in time someone covered the fireplace with drywall to match the rest of the column but the previous owners decided it would be a good idea to open it back up, I do not want it open.

There is a piece of drywall leaning up against the hole that is the proper size to close the hole (about 2'x3'). My question is, can I simply sand/hang/mud after insulating the area and call it a day or is there something else I need to consider.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

IL

03-21-08, 06:39 PM   #2  
A picture would help. You need to install this piece of drywall into wood. Is the hole stud to stud? If not put wood around the opening with drywall screws so the repair piece has something to hang on to. Make sure the piece of drywall fits tight. Tape with mud. Sand then apply two more coats.

Search this Thread