Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Popcorn ceilings

IL

03-22-08, 03:38 PM   #1  
Popcorn ceilings

How do I remove popcorn ceilings?

Sponsored Links

03-22-08, 03:55 PM   #2  
No matter what you do be prepared for a mess. Make sure you cover everything. If you cover the area with a thin painters plactic film, after your done, you just wrap it all up and throw it away.

I have personally found that moistening the popcorn and hen using a 8" to 12" drywall spackling knife to scrape the popcorn off is the easiest and gives you the best control.
In a couple of tries you'll find the angle that works best for you.

To moisten the popcorn I prefer using a pump sprayer filled with clean water. Like the one you would use to spray incecticide in a flower garden. Don't soak the ceiling, just moisten it. That it.

Group Moderator

WI

03-22-08, 06:54 PM   #3  
Yep, water and a scraper. Big mess.

IL

03-23-08, 06:37 AM   #4  
To help limit the mess you can hold up a painters pan to catch the debris. I do this when breaking loose plaster from a ceiling. Keep a large garbage can with a 33 gallon bag in it at your side.

03-23-08, 07:17 AM   #5  
FWIW - and I know you don't want to hear this.... Some homes (1960's - 1970's) actually have asbestos in their popcorn ceilings. Asbestos mitigation is spendy - time consuming - and a PITA.... but obviously someone somewhere considers it to be a worthwhile issue. If you're concerned about that possibility - have it tested prior to removal.

Otherwise - spray it/scrape it/dispose of it..... Nasty work - big mess - but relatively easy unless someone painted it with water resistant paint somewhere down the line... at which point you will darned near have to soak the ceiling with a water hose (obviously kidding to some extent).... Good luck - and have fun!! (Send the kids to visit Grandma for a few days)

Search this Thread