Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ceiling plaster peeling

NY

03-31-08, 07:11 AM   #1  
ceiling plaster peeling

My ceiling received minor water damage and the plaster cracked. I was wondering if I could just somehow glue it back in place. It is about a 3 inch crack. The ceiling is hard to plaster because it has some sort of rough coat with swirls in it. I am not sure how they created the swirls so it is hard to match. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links

CAL

03-31-08, 09:30 AM   #2  
Is this real plaster or are you calling the drywall joint compound plaster?

If you can post a picture and give us the link we can try to tell you how to match the texture.

On the other hand you can do little damage by trying to glue it up if it's plaster. Squirt some glue under the loose stuff and take a 2 X 4 and prop it up by wedging it between the floor and the ceiling. It might work and if it doesn't you were ging to have to fix it anyway.

You might want to use some elmers glue adn thin it down just a bit.

Now if this is only the joint or texture treatment on drywall, I think it is less likely to work but it still won't hurt to try

Let us know which you do and how it works

NY

04-01-08, 03:23 AM   #3  
i misspoke. it is painted sheet rock that is peeling. i believe it is just paint. i will try the glue and 2x4 trick. thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-01-08, 04:18 AM   #4  
Scraping off all the loose, sanding and filling the the low spots with joint compound is the fix. Don't forget to sand the j/c [when dry] and prime before you paint. If there arre any water stains you will need a solvent based primer to seal the stains.

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IL

04-01-08, 05:12 PM   #5  
Don't glue this. Take a painters pan and hold it up the damaged area and scrape into it. Push on the area to make sure it does not move. If it does move you need to install a few drywall screws to shore it up. Sand around the area then apply the j/c.

NY

04-02-08, 08:03 AM   #6  
thanks that seems like the correct thing to do. like i said the ceiling has some sort of rough swirl on it. it looks like it has sand in it. any idea on how to creat this swirl look so i can match the existing ceiling?

thanks

CAL

04-02-08, 08:18 AM   #7  
Put up a photo with good detail and contrast a sense of scale would be helpful, too. I think I know what you are describing. I'd like to see it before I say.

NY

04-02-08, 11:51 AM   #8  
will not let me attach photos

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-02-08, 12:35 PM   #9  
You can attach photos using a free site like

www.photobucket.com

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread