cracked ceilings from roofing job

Old 04-01-08, 03:10 PM
cracked ceilings from roofing job

While having our roof re-done, our ceilings in our family room now has about 5 or 6 small cracks. I'm very upset since we just paid to have the old popcorn ceilings taken down and new knock down ceilings (textured) put in place.

Does anyone have a remedy for fixing these cracks? Would I use joint compound to fill them in, or will these cracks grow in size over time due to settling, etc? The roofers were crashing around so hard up there that the ceiling literally cracked from them stomping around and smashing around materials. This is in a room added onto the house which was at one time a porch, so it has a flat roof without much protection between the ceiling and outer roof.

Thanks for your help. Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-08, 03:32 PM
The roofers did what they had to do, when you scheduled them to do it. Enough said.

Use painter's caulk, sparingly lest it smooth the surrounding texture.

Old 04-01-08, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may do the roofers a future service also, by telling them. They were probably tossing around those heavy bundles of shingles, and that is probably what did it. The trusses really can shake when that happens. They probably never gave it a second thought.

About 30 years ago, -I- had a learning experience. I was pounding "105" siding back in place on a rich person's riverfront vacation getaway, and I was pounding on the exterior kitchen wall when I heard this smash and the lady was inside screaming, "My heirloom, my HEIRloom!" Sheesh! Luckily she soon got over it, and her husband actually paid me $200 extra for the care I took in nailing back all the boards, adding some new ones, and the way I feather sanded the house, even overhead on soffits.

Old 04-01-08, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, darn it, ecman! Here I am, begging for stories to put in the Bloopers Forum, and you told a great one in patching and plastering

I think all roofers do that...the shingles are heavy, the stance is awkward, and when you drop the bundle, it's just about impossible to be gentle. (Oh, but they all love their hammers, too!)

You can disguise the caulk with a little coarse bristle brush to make it blend into the texture. (Unless it's popcorn- they make a spray can of touch up for that.)

Old 04-01-08, 04:56 PM
Well I did talk about this with the owner of the roofing place and he was very nice about it, etc. I know it wasn't his fault of course - and yes, they were lugging around and tossing those huge bundles of asphalt which is what caused the cracking for sure. We were told to take down all artwork and so forth from the walls before the job (which we did) but I didn't expect the ceiling to crack.

Thanks for the tips -- I will pick up the painter's caulk tomorrow and try that. Appreciate the advice. Oh - we did get a discount from our new tiles due to the cracks, so the company was very commendable about that. It's a family owned business which has been in the area for years and I know that they didn't intentionally mean any damage to occur, of course. Kevin

Old 04-01-08, 05:19 PM
The caulk would be a quick fix. I agree in trying that. Generally I would not recommend it but the alternative is time consuming and hard work. This may just work for you. Its not like these are true stress cracks.

Old 04-02-08, 09:39 AM
What do you consider painters caulk?

Old 04-02-08, 09:52 AM
you say you had the ceiling redone i would contact the company that redid the ceiling and see what they have to say
seems to me that shouldn't have happened had the ceiling been done right

Old 04-02-08, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by wendans View Post
What do you consider painters caulk?
Paintable acrylic latex caulk.