arched niches

Old 04-05-08, 04:21 PM
arched niches

I hope to build a couple of small arched niches by removing the front facing drywall between two studs and leaving the back drywall as the back of the niche. I'll attach some drywall pieces to the studs on the sides and also on the bottom side of the arch, taping, and then mudding it.
My question is: How do I tape the inside corner of the arch where the new drywall will meet the old back drywall?--Taping it will result in the tape folding onto itself as it follows the curve of the arch. Any suggestions out there?
I was thinking of skipping the taping just on the arch and instead, using a good caulk. Do you think it'll eventually crack with just the caulk?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

billyg1954
View Public Profile
Send a private message to billyg1954
Find all posts by billyg1954
Add billyg1954 to Your Buddy List

.texston.com[/url]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take your drywall tape and cut alternating v's on either side about 1/2" wide at the outside and each point landing in the middle of the opposing v. Confused? That way when you go to bend the tape around the curve, the v's will compress next to each other, rather than overlapping as you suggested. Offsetting the v's ensures integrity of the paper over the run.

Old 04-05-08, 08:03 PM
I would go with chandler,s advice. Not the caulk idea. You need to paper tape this. Caulk will not last.

Old 04-06-08, 09:58 AM
Chandler,
Thanks for your suggestion..I don't understand when you say to cut alternating v's. Can you elaborate?
Thanks.

Old 04-06-08, 01:17 PM
Well, since you will be arcing the tape, you will only have to cut v's on one side of the tape. Cut v's on one edge to the center with about 1/2" opening at the widest part of the v. When you arc it over, the uncut part will go up and over, and the cut part will follow the wall, closing up the v's as you go. I mentioned cutting the alternating v's in error, as that is how we do it in squirrelly situations. Your's won't be that bad.

Old 04-06-08, 02:00 PM
Larry, did you cut that paper and take the picture just to show Billy what it is supposed to look like?

You did, didn't you? That is so sweet and you are definitely my hero today!

Connie

Old 04-06-08, 02:46 PM
He took it with his Fuji Finepix, excellent camera for webshots.

Yeah, Chandler, you rock.

Old 04-06-08, 06:17 PM
Larry,
Much thanks again....To coin a phrase.."A picture is worth a thousand words".
I really appreciate your work in answering my question.
Thank you.

Billy

Old 04-06-08, 06:33 PM
All my drywall tape is in my trailer on a jobsite, so I had to get creative. Yeah the Fuji was retired from general photography when my wife wanted a Konica/Minolta DiMage, so I adopted it for work pix. Does do pertty good. All my shots on my webpage are from it, mostly, so I think I'll keep it. Billy, glad we could help. Send us pix when you get the alcove built. We like to see DIY projects.