Old 04-13-08, 09:15 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I want to wall paper my kitchen but the previous owner painted the walls with a textured paint do i have to sand the walls down to make it smooth? also there are some other parts that looks like they patched over.
Old 04-13-08, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,727
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You can try and sand the texture - I don't know how effective that will be. If it resists sanding it might be easier to apply a skim coat of joint compound over the texture - sand when dry and apply a good primer before hanging the wallpaper.
Old 04-13-08, 12:06 PM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,128
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wallpaper hides defects - but only to some extent. You need a reasonably smooth wall behind it, depending on the weight/texture of the wallpaper.

If you think you can get away with your existing finish - hang a patch a foot square - let it dry and see what it looks like... If you're happy with the results, remove it and paper the wall...

Otherwise, you're faced with sanding the wall and/or skim coating it with joint compound to smooth it out.
Old 04-13-08, 02:32 PM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 204
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wall repair

I think joint compound is easier. It's often hard to know when to stop sanding, then you just create more problems! Good luck!
Old 04-13-08, 03:29 PM
nagra4s's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 432
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of texture is it? Sand, knockdown? The kind of wallpaper makes a difference. Some papers are just as revealing to imperfections as paint. Did you pick the wall covering out yet?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: