Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Patching a hole, over and over help please?

Old 04-18-08, 03:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We remodeled our bathroom and hung new fixtures includingthe toilet paper holder. I used regular plastic anchors and it was fine until our 90 lb. Roteweiller decided that she likes the taste of toilet paper and ripped the entire holder out of the wall.
So, I patched the holes with dry wall mud and let dry for three days. Then mounted with 3/*" toggle bolts that took a 1/2" hole.. Well, sge did it again and now I have even gigger holes to patch and my problem is what should I use this time? Drywall mud again? Water Putty? I need to remount the hanger inthe same location, so what do I use to patchthe holes? And this time I will make sure the bathroom door stays closed.
Thanks fr any and all suggestions an dtake care
Dan

Old 04-18-08, 04:11 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can cut out the affected area, install backer boards, cut a piece of drywall to patch the area, secure with screws, tape seams with fiberglass tape, apply 2-3 coats of joint compound, sanding between coats. Prime and paint.

For illustrations: http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_gu...hing_holes.htm

Old 04-18-08, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning, Dan!

You'll want to cut that little section out and reinforce it. Here's a fix it page (with pictures) that shows how it can be done.

http://www.drywallinfo.com/holerepair.html

Connie

Old 04-18-08, 05:27 PM
This big boy dog of yours needs heavy reinforcement. Use drywall screws all around your repair. First cut an 8" X 8" square out and insert 2X4's around it with a new piece of drywall. Joint Compound at least two times with tape to smooth. Prime and double coat paint. Then reinstall the fixture right into the wood.

Old 04-19-08, 10:16 AM
D
Thanks everyone!

I was afraid that was what I was going to hear from you

Just finished remodeling the bathroom, including new plumbing and taking out a in wall cabinet, then adding drywall over the old location..One coat of primer and two coats of paint, new doors, new everything....
Oh well.. looks like a new project has been added to the ever growing list.
Take care

Dan

Old 04-20-08, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What is it about toilet paper that dogs like? At least my shetland sheep dog just pulls the end of the paper and pulls it through the house. Looks like an old 1960's paper job on someone's yard.

Old 04-20-08, 04:55 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
What is it about toilet paper that dogs like? At least my shetland sheep dog just pulls the end of the paper and pulls it through the house. Looks like an old 1960's paper job on someone's yard.
Thats funny

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: