getting rid of textured ceiling

Old 03-26-00, 05:00 AM
Visiting Guest
I want to get rid of a textured ceiling. I know it's probably bad underneath. Why else do it? But...Can a textured ceiling be sanded down to make it smooth or should it be skim-coated right over the texture?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-00, 05:53 AM
Cool

The best way to get rid of a textured ceiling is to spray (like with a Windex sprayer)the texture with water to dampen it, and scrape it off with a wide blade sheetrock knife. Don't get it too wet, just wet enough to remove texture. Experiment on an area that does not have sheetrock tape. After all is removed, repair the sheetrock and taped joints, and finish to suit. (Cover walls and floor with plastic before beginning. This is messy.) Good Luck!

Old 04-19-00, 01:52 PM
Visiting Guest
If you have a "cottage cheese" ceiling and your house is older, there is a very good chance that there is asbestos in the chunks. If so you need to have this done professionally.

Old 04-24-00, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a similar problem. Is there any way to determine if the "texture" contains asbestos? Thanks.

Old 04-24-00, 05:09 PM
Yes, it is called an asbestos test. Look in the yellow pages of any good size city under
Testing Labs. If you can't find one, call a Real Estate Broker. They will have a list .
Does not cost too much, but can save you alot in health matters.

------------------
Jack the Contractor