Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Can you cover paneling with joint compound?

Old 05-17-08, 08:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I don't have the money to get my living room, kitchen, and hallway re-done with sheet rock. I have paneling in this house from 1974 and was wondering if I could cover it up with alot of joint compound, give it some texture, and paint it? Is this possible? And is there something special that I need to know?

Old 05-17-08, 08:38 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wood expands and contracts, so it's not likely that the joint compound would be a long-term option. Why not paint the panelling? Lightly sand walls, wash with TSP, apply primer/sealer, then paint. If wanting a texture, there are textured paints. If panels have grooves in them, you may want to fill those with joint compound and sand before applying primer/sealer.

Before & After Photos:

Photo Credit: allthingsfrugal

Old 05-17-08, 08:46 PM
1/2" Drywall is about $6 a sheet, compound is about $3 a gallon. 3/8" is even cheaper.
The amount of time and labor you will spend trying to cover paneling (which as mentioned, won't work anyway) you could have drywall.

Old 05-18-08, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The only problem with adding drywall to the paneling will come in at the window and door moldings. You will have to alter the jamb extensions in order to replace the molding. I have filled the grooves with joint compound and painted the entire walls with good success, and didn't have to modify any molding. Just a thought.

Old 05-18-08, 05:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 758 Posts
The only thing I have against filling the grooves with j/c is unless the grooves are expertly filled, painted grooves look better.

btw - 1/2" and 3/8" drywall around here are priced the same for 8' lenght and 1/4" is slightly higher priced besides the woodwork alterations you will also need to install electrical box extension on wall plugs and switches.

Old 05-18-08, 05:59 AM
I just finished a painted paneling job. Wash down, then prime with a stain killing primer (I used SW Pro Block latex). When dry you will caulk all the 4 foot joining seams as well as the ceiling cove and any other black spots. Then two finish coats of paint. It turned out great. My customer was thrilled with the results.

This was grooved paneling.

Old 05-18-08, 09:27 PM
S
Wow

Thanks alots guys for lending me some information. I don't guess i really know what I am doing. I just want my livingroom, kitchen, and hallway to look nicer. And this seems to be a whole lot more work than I thougth it would be. I am up for anymore information you all have to share. I am not sure but maybe I need to hire someone. Can just anyone do all this?

Old 05-18-08, 09:33 PM
T
If you can use a paint brush and roller, you should be able to DIY after doing the wall prep. Just take your time. You will surprise yourself with what you can do.

How to info: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-...159698,00.html

Old 06-24-08, 03:29 PM
L
I did this years back - I had to secure some of the paneling that had been affixed with glue using some screws, but they got covered with paint afterwards.

I sanded the shine off of the paneling, primed and painted. Then I sponged the wall - the grooves were barely noticeable with the fake texture that sponging does to it. Good luck in your project!

Old 06-24-08, 10:58 PM
P
how to finish paneling

Yes, you can finish paneling with drywall materials, but you need to do the right kind of prep first, then follow the right procedure to get the results you want.

NoAdvertising

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-25-08 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Removed website link. No advertising please.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: