Patching exterior rotted wood


Old 05-22-00, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have exterior wood columns that have water damage around the base (looks like water seeped in around caulk). I have dug out the old rotter wood. What is the best way to repair. I am a novice so is this something that is straightforward or should i call a pro?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-00, 06:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndyG:
I have exterior wood columns that have water damage around the base<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you know the damage is not structural, you might try using a compound called Mr. Mac. It comes as a powder you mix with an included liquid. They have kits to repair wood, metal and concrete. The wood repair stuff dries very, very hard, but I think it doesn't take a stain, it has to be painted.
Old 06-24-00, 12:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

After cleaning out the decayed wood, assuming that you have a reasonable amount of sound wood left, try using some wood hardener by Minwax. This is a very thin liquid that soaks in readily and solidifies the wood fibers- kind of like paper mache'. I have found this to be good insurance before caulking or puttying. Good luck!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes