repairing or replacing rotted eaves.

Old 07-21-00, 10:32 PM
Visiting Guest
We need to repair or replace (Hopefully we can repair) the eaves on our house. I've searched the www for instructional help, but to no avail. We would appreciate any 411 you can give us.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-00, 05:34 AM
Cool

To repair eaves, first remove any fascia boards that have rot damage. This should expose the ends of the rafters, so that you can see if they have rot damage. If they do, also remove the soffit underneath the eaves. Next, check the edge of the roof sheathing to see if it has rot. Obviously, all rotted fascia board, soffit (probably plywood), rafter ends (2X4?, 2X6?), and sheathing need to be cut out/off first (reciprocating saw). If the sheathing is rotted, you also may have to remove/replace matching shingles, too. I recommend using all pressure-treated wood/plywood for these repairs. Once all damaged wood/plywood is removed, then you start replacing from the rafters/eave framing out. Attach short pieces of 2Xwhatever with long screws to existing rafters, with the ends cut at the proper angle to match the rest of the rafters. Next, replace any sheathing, as necessary. Replace any drip edge, tar paper, and shingles.Replace fascia boards. Replace soffit, including any vents. For a permanent fix, wrap your eaves with vinyl trim. Properly installed, you should not have any painting or rot damage to deal with in the future. Good Luck!

Old 08-24-10, 10:21 AM
Much Appreciated

Hi Mike,

I'm working on a novel. This morning a character noticed some rotting eaves on his house. He is going about the business of fixing them.

But his expertise about home repair is far beyond mine. So I was very glad to have your ten year old comments here to help me articulate what exactly this character is doing. How would you like your name to appear in the acknowledgments?

Much appreciated,

Nath Jones