Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ceiling wallboard patching

Visiting Guest

08-27-00, 08:40 AM   #1  
Willsem
All:

I just added recessed lighting to my Kitchen. In the process of installation I found that there were pipes, supports etc. that I had not planned on.
The bottom line is that I had 4, 5" square holes that were not needed. I tried to patch by cutting a piece of new wallboard the same size of the hole in the ceiling and proceeded to tape and patch. Now that I have finished, the patches are very noticeable.
What can I do? I was thinking about textured paint. There was one other small problem I have and that is I tried to tape and patch piece of wall board that had a crater from small water damage and wound up with the same problem.

Please give your comments.

Gene

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-27-00, 12:09 PM   #2  
Drywall mud shrinks as it dries and this may have caused part of your problem. I always use 3 coats allowing time for each coat to dry. Be sure to prime your patches before painting.

Visiting Guest

09-02-00, 04:28 AM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Also, a patch on a slick ceiling(or anything else) must be feathered out. I would say on a 5 inch problem, assuming the patch doesn't hang below the rest of your ceiling, you would need to feather the patching at least a foot all the way around. This is best done with a 10 inch drywall blade but can be done with a 5 or 6 in steps...Mike

Search this Thread