repairing plaster moldings

Old 10-12-00, 02:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

hi
i am having some very ugly angel stone (about 4 inches thick) removed from our gas fireplace, but when the stone was added they cut away (removed) the plaster cornis(sp??)molding. i can copy the simple style, but what do i use to make it. plaster of paris or what.??

Old 10-25-00, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
You might try RayCrete for the repair. It's easier to use for restoration work than most other materials.

Old 10-25-00, 04:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Canadian:

Do a web search for "ornamental plaster". There's a site based in England that deals with restoring ornamental plaster that I came across once trying to find info on mixing real plaster for repairing plaster walls. I think they use Plaster of Paris.

Old 10-28-00, 11:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Canadian,

Go to any USG dealer and get a bag of ornamental plaster mix. I think you are going to find reproduction may not be as easy as you think.

There are many ornamental plaster reproduction companies in the US. Should save in shipping, but will still be pricey.

Should you do it yourself, ensure you make good profiling scrapers which means you will have to damage some of what you do have.

It will be a great project if you are patient. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: