leaky ceiling

Old 11-15-00, 09:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I think I have a drywall ceiling. My roof is a tar-gravel type (very typical of New Mexico). There was a leak in the roof, water came in and water spots formed on my ceiling. I patched up the sides of the roof (where the water was comming in).

This morning the water started to leak from the ceiling (I think this is because it was finally trapped there). The water has drained and now the ceiling is begining to dry.

My question is: What is the best way now to fix the water damaged ceiling??? If I just let it dry, will the drywall go back to normal? Must I replace this???

I've owned my house for about 3 months, and most of the repairs I have been able to "wing" and get very good results, this one is something that I cannot just wing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-00, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Ckletecta,

If you have only owned your house for three months, I would give a call the realator if there is one, or maybe an attorney. In most states home sales are covered by a limited warranty that almost always covers the roof via the mortgage writer/underwriter.

As for the ceiling, wait for it to dry and see what the results are. Hopefully the most you will have to do is prime with a sealer for any water marks that may show up. If they do show up, I have never see paint alone seal water stains. Good luck.