First Time Drywall Experience!

Old 05-30-08, 09:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First Time Drywall Experience!

Hi All!
It's my first time post and I am a really new member here on DIY.com

I've never done drywall work before and tomorrow starts my first experience with it. Our garage had some water damaged drywall and the outside has been fixed and the inside needs some repair. A large piece of the wall has exposed studs and I need to hang the drywall, and somehow make it blend in with the existing drywall. let me know if you have any suggestions (ie. what brand of mud to buy, screws vs. nails, mudding tips, drying time, etc.. ) I don't know anything.. I do know that I should wait before painting... the rest.. I hope you suggest.

Wish me luck! Maybe if it turns out ok, I'll post pictures.

Regards, Ryan

Old 05-31-08, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ryan, welcome to the forums! Hey, guys, fresh meat!
No, really, we are here to help, and would really like to see your pictures when you are through. First, you should remove any damaged drywall from the area, so you will have a clean slate to begin with. Depending on whether you have help or not, you can install the sheetrock vertically or horizontally. If you are by yourself, or with minimal help, install it vertically, lifting it to the top so it hits the sheetrock on the ceiling. Don't worry about the bottom, as you can either leave it alone, or use base molding to cover the crack. Use 1 5/8 course thread sheetrock screws to attach the sheetrock. If you have a sheetrock square (good tool), you should mark your studs on the sheet so your screw line will hit the studs.
Once it is installed, you will need to cover the cracks and corners with paper tape. In order to do this, use drywall compound (I use lightweight dust control) to place a stripe in the cracks, extending out about 3 inches on either side. Cut and place your tape over the crack and press it in with a 6" drywall knife. You will squeeze out most of the compound, but that's OK, as you have at least two more coats to go.
In the corners, you will see the tape has a perf bend in the middle, to make folding it in half easier. Cut it to length and fold it in half. Do the same thing with your mud in the corners. Buying a corner tool makes it alot easier to strike it off initially. Then come back and take off the excess with your 6" knife. Do the same thing to the crack at the ceiling.
One thing to remember....don't overwork your mud. The more you work with it, the funkier it gets and your results will be less than perfect. You have more coats. If you did these things good, you shouldn't need to sand just yet, but if there are any boogers on the wall, sand them down smooth.
Then (after that is dry) step up to a 9" knife and recoat the seams using that tool, keeping the compound as thin as possible over the seams.
Finally, when that is dry, lightly sand it and, using a 12" knife, thin out your compound with a small, small, small amount of water, and apply your final coat. Your corners won't need the 9" and 12" striking. You can get good results with your 6" knife in those areas. After it dries, sand it down with 120 grit sanding screen prime and paint.
I know you will have more questions, and I probably have left out something, so ask away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: