Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

plasterboard/dry wall mess

OH

06-11-08, 02:36 AM   #1  

converting/finishing off a house.

plasterboard is in various states.

there are 3 situations:

a) has been hung with white side out taped badly and then painted with emulsion b) has been hung with grey side out taped badly and then painted with emulsion
c) has had lining paper hung on it with no sealant and then painted with emulsion

we would like to get the whole lot skimmed with plaster.
what are the options/ your suggestions in these 3 states?

best

tommy banana

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-11-08, 04:14 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

If any of the tape is loose, it will need to be removed and redone. If it is just a bad finish job - that can be fixed with more joint compound and sandpaper.

While plaster can be applied over blue board [drywall specfic for plaster] I don't know if you can plaster over regular drywall but a skim coat of j/c will give a similiar looking result.

I don't know about the lining paper.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

06-11-08, 06:07 AM   #3  
Do you mean you want actuall plaster or just skimmed over to look better? If you want actuall plaster then you have to put a plaster bonder onto everything. The stuff that is hung backwards is going to be a problem. You may get a lot of blisters.

OH

06-12-08, 01:39 AM   #4  

it is just a skim finish we are looking for. I am aware that stripping thr paper off unsealed plaster board may be difficult.

Is skimming over the white side of plasterbooard possible and even if it has been painted with emulsion?

best

tommy banana

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-12-08, 03:06 AM   #5  
Joint compound will adhere to paint. If the paint is glossy, you need to sand it first.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread