Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Skim coatof plaster over painted wallpaper

Old 06-11-08, 06:53 PM

We have a 30 year old home that we have lived in for 8 years. In what is now our nursery that we are turning into an office one of the previous owners (I think the previous owners to us since they had a small child) hung wallpaper over plasterboard that had previoulsy been finished with a swirl design. Most likely this wallpaper was hund between 1995 and 1998. Most homes in SW VA have swirl plastered walls using sheetrock not drywall boards. We did not like the wallpaper and rather than removing it I primed it and painted it with 2 coats of paint. I then primed it again and painted the walls a different color using 2 coats of paint. All latex paint and primer was used.

I want to get rid of the seams but hate the thougt of removing the wallpaper with the 6 coats of paint (4 paint and 2 primver coats). I know the wall under the wallpaper was finished with the swirls b/c I can see it. I was thinking of just having a plasterer come in and replaster the walls and do the swirls. Will the plaster cause the wallpaper to loosen and fail down the road. I really don't want to remove unless I ultimately have to to prevent future problems. The paint has not caused any bubbling of the wallpaper and the wallpaper is tight in most places except a few corner areas. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-08, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can fill the seams with spackling or joint compound.

I doubt you can use plaster but j/c might work. I'd be leary of applying much of anything over the wallpaper because it will only be ok as long as the wallpaper stays glued to the wall..... and you said it's already coming loose in a few spots.

Sheetrock [a brand name] and drywall are the same. Both are gypsum rock sandwiched between 2 sheets of paper. If your walls originally have a plaster veneer, blue board [a form of drywall] was used. Blue board is made to accept a plaster veneer.

Old 06-19-08, 07:39 PM
Cut any loose seams and or bubbles, oil prime, plaster/resurface, oil prime again, and paint latex