Restucco over painted stucco surface

Old 06-12-08, 03:14 PM
Restucco over painted stucco surface

What is the recommended procedure to prepare the surface of stucco that has been painted several times over the years to be restuccoed? One contractor tells me it is best to sand blast the painted surface first. Another contractor tells me that using a good adhesive is all that is necessary.
I want to do it right. What is recommended?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-08, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this exterior stucco? Stucco mix will adhere to raw masonary. This is a bonding agent you can apply to painted surfaces to make the stucco adhere. IMO this is better for repairs. The paint might be removed using a pressure washer.

Given the option, it is better to remove the paint than rely on a bonding agent.

Old 06-14-08, 10:11 AM
re stucco

The nature of stucco requires two types of surface bonding. It requires a chemical bond, and a mechanical bond. If you are re-stuccoing over a rough surfase then you already have a mechanical bond. The chemical bond will need to be made with a bonding agent such as concrete glue, this can be found at home depot. This is necessary because you have a painted surface. The glue works best when it is still tacky.