Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

need advice on taping products

ME

06-13-08, 05:26 PM   #1  
need advice on taping products

Hi,

I'm in the process of building my own house. I just finished putting up 200 sheets of 4x10 sheetrock. I have a couple of questions about taping materials:

1) the local big box stores have "Sheetrock" brand joint compound. Comes in "Al Purpose" and "Lightweight All-Purpose". Other than it's weight, what is the difference? Where would you use one vs the other? and why? Also, HD has a new "medium weight". I'm used to using the green lid "all purpose", but my experience with taping goes back 20 years. Any other suggestions?

2) When it comes to corner beads what are the benefits of each the plastic and metal ones?

3) And about the tape, again, I'm used to using just plain old paper tape with the crease down the middle so it can be used for tapered joints, butt joints, and inside corners. Are there newer, better products that are standard nowadays?

Thanks
ken

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-14-08, 03:55 AM   #2  
All purpose mud [green lid] should be used for the tape and bed coat - it will "glue" the tape down better. Lightweight works good for the rest of the finishing.

I've alwys used the metal corner bead and don't know much about the vinyl/plastic.

There is a self adhesive mesh tape but it has a poor track record, it works best if you apply a setting compound like durabond over it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

06-14-08, 07:12 AM   #3  
Definitely use the paper tape. And if you don't have one, buy a banjo. They cost about $80 but well worth it for 200 sheets. I prefer tape on corner bead but that just me. You nail on metal bead and spray glue on vinyl bead. But with both you should spray glue mesh tape over the edges.

ME

06-14-08, 06:03 PM   #4  
I checked out the banjo and ordered one. I also purchased a Porter cable 7800 drywayy sander. Yeah, it's expensive but it will pay itself off on this job alone.

Other than the sander, I have an assortment of taping knives, from 4" to 16", mud trays, 2 inside cornering tools, and halfsheet hand sanders.

I can't afford the 2 or 3 thousand dollars for a professional set of tools. But I'm not opposed to buying other tools which will make the job go better or faster. So what would be the next tool I should get, if any?

Also, I have a question about corner beads. I found these combination metal and paper corner beads (these are for outside corners) in Lowes. I'm familiar with the typical metal or plastic corner beads that you nail into place, the mud over. But these are different. As I said, they're paper and metal. Once applied the paper is the only thing that shows. So it looks to me like they are applied ONLY with mud, no nails or screws. Does this sound right? I applied one and it holds just fine and looks great. Any comments?

Thanks
Ken

KS

06-15-08, 06:26 AM   #5  
I only use the tape on corner bead you have. They sell a hopper and roller combo to put it on quicker. It would be good if you had A LOT of corner bead to put up. Use all purpose mud to hold it on. I like it because it goes up quicker and straighter than metal. And wont crack as much down the road. Do you have an Ames store near you? If you do then you can rent the automatic taping tools.

Search this Thread