Plaster walls uneven...need resurfacing

Old 06-16-08, 08:28 AM
Plaster walls uneven...need resurfacing

I am midway though a bathroom renovation. I have plaster walls that are a bit uneven in areas... there is some wavy spots and other areas that were just poorly painted.

What are the best methods of leveling things off. Do I use Joint Compound and resurface the walls? or is something else preferred?

Thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-08, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It depends on how much surface area you want to fix, as to what method to use makes the most sense.

You can trowel on ready-mix mud out of the pail? Or you can use something more palster-like, like Durobond setting-type mud? (But be advised you must apply it so you do not have high spots to sand out, as it is hard to sand!) You can actually screed across low areas by troweling on the mix halfway decent, and then screeding it with a sharp metal blade, like a 24 inch wallpaper tool, or a 4 foot straight edge? Or you can sheetrock overlay.

Old 06-22-08, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I picked up some Joint Compound at Home Depot. There were 2 options. Durabond 90 and EasySand 90. I thought the Easysand seemed like a good option. Think that will work and leave me with the ability to sand it down where needed?

Hope so.

Thx

Fish

Old 06-23-08, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While easy sand might sand easier than durabond, it isn't all that easy to sand [unlike j/c] so the smoother you apply the easier your job will be. Personally I'd rather apply an extra coat of mud than do any extra sanding.

Old 06-23-08, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the tips... I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean when you say "unlike J/C". Meaning Joint Compoind? Easy Sand 90 is Joint Compound. I think I'm misunderstanding.