Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Paneling Plaster Help

SC

06-25-08, 11:53 PM   #1  
Paneling Plaster Help

I have a room that is presently paneled. I would like to do a Venetian Plaster look. I first thought to just plaster over the paneling, but now im thinking of taking the paneling down and plastering the wall. The thing im wondering is the wall under the paneling has peeling paint. Can i just plaster over this or am i going to have to sand them first? If so, would it be easier to plaster the paneling instead? I would like to do the method that will be easier and look best, the fear i have about plastering the paneling is that the grooves in the paneling showing through. Help!?

Sponsored Links

KS

06-26-08, 05:24 AM   #2  
Definitley take the paneling down. It's impossible to mud over paneling and have it look good or last.

What look are you going for? You mentioned Venetian Plaster. To do a good plaster you need to have the wall in good condition first. You can do a hand troweled texture then paint over it??

SC

06-26-08, 09:16 AM   #3  
Yes Venetian Plaster is the look i would like to do. The hand troweled texture is what im going for i believe. What do you mean by "good shape" The Venetian Plaster look is not smooth so i was thinking it didn't matter if there is small holes in the wall the plaster would cover those wouldn't it? I do know the paneling was put up because the paint was peeling, so would the peeling paint be a factor?

Thanks for your help!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-26-08, 12:19 PM   #4  
Textures will hide some imperfections in the wall but it's not a cure all. The risk you take applying venetian plaster over a wall that isn't finished properly, is the defect may teleraph thru the finish. Obviously any peeling paint would have to be removed.

Whoever put up the paneling did so because they thought it would make the room look better. You won't know until you take the paneling down, what lies underneath. It is also possible that adhesive was used o help secure the panels to the wall. At times, the adhesive can be a nightmare to remove.

If you plan to own/live in the home for any length of time, I'd recomend biting the bullet and do whatever it takes to get it right...... for quick and easy, I'd just prime, caulk and paint the paneling.

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

SC

06-26-08, 12:38 PM   #5  
This is my child hood home. I already know that the paneling was applied with nails and no glue (thank goodness) and the walls other than the peeling paint are in good condition. I know there is a venetian plaster, but can't the venetian look be achieved with just a plan mud or plaster? Im trying to achieve a very textured and bumpy surface that's kinda why i was thinking of just doing it over the paneling because the surface would be very uneven anyway .

Thanks for all your help and thanks for the welcome!!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-26-08, 01:20 PM   #6  
I've never applied any venetian plaster but would think a similiar texture could be achieved with joint compound. I'm sure coops will be back along later with better info

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

KS

06-26-08, 01:51 PM   #7  
There are different variations of "Venetian Plaster" but most of them are super smooth. You want to do a hand texture and faux paint over it. Which is a great look. I did that in my house. As long as the drywall under the paneling is taped and finished then you should be able to grab a trowel and start. I wouldn't worry about any peeling paint. Just make sure all the loose stuff is gone first.

SC

06-26-08, 05:16 PM   #8  
hahaha....Ok I know im gonna drive you all batty before i get this straight. The peeling paint doesnt matter? What do you mean about taped and finished?

Again Thanks for all the help!!

KS

06-27-08, 06:16 AM   #9  
To make a seamless wall and simulate 1 big piece of gypsum you put up sheets of drywall. Then you put mud and tape over the places where the sheets meet. Then you finish the wall by putting more mud over the seams until flat. Now...when you look at the wall does it look flat with no cracks?

SC

06-27-08, 09:37 AM   #10  
OK so that i understand, and that part is fine other than the peeling paint. I guess i'm set to go then, thanks for all the help and advise i really appreciate it.

Search this Thread