I need help with this one.

Old 06-28-08, 02:11 PM
I need help with this one.

Ok, so after purchasing the house and painting the whole place after removing the 70's wallpaper I had decided to tackle the kitchen. The wood paneling in it was very out of style and had to go. As well as the wallpaper that was used by the previous owners as kitchen backsplash.
The wallpaper was coming off easy same as the panneling, however underneath it all there was the vinyl from the floor half way up the wall. That's right someone actually glued vinyl flooring on the drywall. I had tried to get it off, and in some spots it worked but mostly it didn't so I have a nice drywall from half way to the ceiling but from half way down - it's a disaster.
At this time replacing the drywall is out of the question, but it will get done in two years from now.
I need some advice on how to make this look good. I was thinking of a textured look maybe ? as the patching might be impossible as you can see the difference at the half way point all around the kitchen.
If anyone knows, please help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-08, 06:09 PM
Sorry, have to ask, why is it out of the question to replace the drywall now? Why will it be ok it 2 years? I would cut out the drywall that the vinyl is on and replace with new. Cheaper and easier than any other band aid type cover up.

Old 06-29-08, 01:16 AM
Hi, I knew someone might ask that. The kitchen is very outdated. I mean cabinets, flooring etc.. My spouse wants to gut the kitchen out completelly and do it right. Reason we can't do it now, is because all his time is invested in bulding a garage on our property and his business.
He wants to wait to get it done. The reason why I would like to do a lift of the kitchen right now until the complete reno is because we will be having some people over for month.
It's is important to me to have this kitchen looking a little better and would like to do some work on it myself for now. The vinyl on the wall extends to begind the kitchen cabinets and I really don't think I am prepared to be moving them at this time. I just need advice on a quick fix for the time being.

Old 06-29-08, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How about installing a wainscotting over the vinyl on the wall. It might be easier to cover it up although I do agree that removing it [even if that means removing the drywall] is best.

Old 06-29-08, 05:38 AM
i wouldn't "rig" something to impress someone. just do a fast/easy fix and leave it at that. i'm sure your visitors will understand.

Old 06-29-08, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't bother with it either however it is a real eye sore now. There is flourescent green on the wall and the vinyl is dark yellow with brown old glue all over it. The kitchen and the dining room are one room and with this condition I personally can't even have anyone for dinner.

MARKSR what is wainscotting ?

Old 06-29-08, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wainscotting is a wood paneling [either in sheets like plywood or individulal thin boards] that is applied to the lower 1/2 or 1/3 of the wall. Beadboard wainscotting is fairly popular right now but most any type of wood can be used and either painted or stained - whichever goes best with the decor.

Old 06-29-08, 11:10 AM
That sounds like it would do the trick. I will definitelly have a look.
Thank you.