drywall in bathroom ceiling

Old 07-15-08, 06:29 AM
drywall in bathroom ceiling

For bathroom sheetrock - do i put on the ceiling the green boards like in the walls?
Also, for the shower area - i put the 3X5 cement boards on the walls, do i put these cement boards on the shower ceiling or just the green boards?

I appreciate your help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-08, 07:27 AM
USG recommends NOT putting green board on the ceiling. I never do. The thing that will protect your ceiling the most from moisture is your paint. Make sure you get a good quality, made for moisture area paint.

For the cement board only put that where the tile is going. Be sure not to end the cement board and the tile at the same spot, meaning you should stagger your joints. So end the cement board a little short of your tile height. Unless you go all the way to the ceiling.

Old 07-15-08, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, there is no good reason for using greenboard. Regular drywall with a decent primer and 2 coats of latex enamel [preferably a kitchen and bath enamel] will last just as long!

Old 07-15-08, 07:52 PM
Thanks so much for your advise.

in the shower area, I plan to put the tile all the way to the ceiling and have tile on the ceiling as well. Do i put the cement board on the celing? or just regular sheetrock and then the tile?

Thanks again.

Old 07-16-08, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would assume the cement board but I'm a painter and don't know for sure. Hopefully one of the tile guys will chime in shortly.