Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Sand swirl interior wall finish (Virginia)

Old 07-24-08, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Where I live in southeastern Virginia, sand swirl interior wall finish is very common. I'm adding an addition onto my house which will extend the length of the finished room over the garage (FROG). I want to match the texture as closely as possible, but am having trouble nailing down the technique.

When we had our house built, I could have sworn the plasterers used big sponges to spread the plaster/sand mix onto the wall, but the only techniques I've seen documented on the internet use a trowel or brush. Can you tell me if you are familiar with the brush technique?

Also, what should the ratio of sand to plaster be, and does the drywall need to be primed first?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 08:23 AM
Its troweled on first then swirled with a 6''sponge on a 45% angle.
Picture the 5 olympic rings and how they intersect.Thats how the texture is swirled by intersecting them.
You would start in the top corner ( let say the wall ) left or right side and make 1 swirl then swirl half way into that with your next pass as you go across the wall and repeat on a 45% angle. If you are righthanded, then start on the left side of the wall working to the right. If your left handed, start on the right.

So when you texture a wall, by the time you are 8 ft across the top ceiling angle of the room you should also be 8 ft down to the floor by now, understand. Because of the angle you textured on you get the sheen look of the textured swirls giveing it the effect its supposed to look like....

Swirl in a circular motion never stopping until you hit the wall, then use the sponge and border the texture. You have to have a light touch while doing the texture, you dont have to press hard or you will smear it.

Old 07-24-08, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to prime the drywall first, or will it spread well over the unfinished surface?

Also, is there a sand/plaster ratio that you could recommend for me to start with?

Old 07-24-08, 09:22 AM
The original mix was done useing plastering lime, white silica sand & white keene's cement on a roughcoat of plaster. The texture was always done the day after the roughcoat was applied as it was not dried yet but hard. There is a big difference doing this texture on drywall as to plaster.

What are you useing for the textureing mix your trying right now ?
Ive used Lightweight Drywall textureing compound mixed with white silica sand. I would use a 5 gallon pail, put in a box of mud and put 2-4 scoops ( 1 scoop is aprox 1 litre or gallon ) of white silica sand in it depending how thick the sand texture your trying to match is.

I would not prime the walls or ceiling but instead give it all a base skimcoat because you need the suction so the mix sets a bit but does not smear off the area as you swirl the texture. Then the next day you would apply another tight skimcoat again and then start swirling the texture almost right away while someone trowels it on ahead of you.

If you have a scrap piece of drywall around, try to do a sample first on that.

Good luck also, I hope this helps you out a bit.

Old 07-24-08, 09:30 AM
I'm working this job (2 rooms) by myself and this is my first crack (no punn intented) at plastering. I've done drywall before, but never finish coat on an entire room. What should I use for a skim coat and how thick should it be?

Old 07-24-08, 10:02 AM
You would use almost the same mixture as the finished texture mix but with just a little less sand on the first skimcoat than the finished textured coat.

The thickness will be a little bit thicker than a grain of sand.1/16-1/8'' at the most.
Your basically first makeing a sand wall finish then reapplying another coat that is then swirled. The basecoat you dont want to many trowel marks on it either.

This way you dont get flat bare spots on the wall and it will be a more uniformed set and look when you do the texture.
The base coat will help you achieve a thicker sand finish and swirls so they stand out better.

This will be a hard job for a begginer plasterer working alone.

Old 07-24-08, 10:10 AM
Thanks again for all the great advice. Really appreciate the help!

Old 07-24-08, 10:13 AM
BTW.....When you get it all skimcoated, start finishing it by doing the ceiling first before the walls. Then do one wall at a time after that. All the walls dont have to be all done in the same day either.

Old 07-24-08, 10:15 AM
Makes sense. Will do - thanks again.