Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Removing Wallpaper and Painting the Room After

Removing Wallpaper and Painting the Room After

Old 07-24-08, 03:22 PM
Question Removing Wallpaper and Painting the Room After

Our house was built in the 80s. I am in the process of removing the wallpaper in the downstairs bathroom. It looks like there are two layers of wallpaper and the final layer is painted with stenciling. There is a film of white over the paint, so it looks like the walls were primed before they were wallpapered. The wallpaper is coming off fairly easy, except in a few areas. I am having difficulty removing the paper on the wall abuting the vanity. The paper is fitted way down between the vanity and the wall and I have tiny pieces sticking out from the side of the vanity and the wall. How can I remove the paper that juts out beyond the vanity? Also, in a few areas (small), the paper over the drywall came off with the wallpaper. How do I repair these areas? Once all the wallpaper is removed, what steps do I have to follow before painting?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 03:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take a razor and cut a clean edge along the vanity top - that should allow you to remove the wallpaper neatly to that point. You may want to caulk this edge before applying the final coat of paint.

Anywhere the drywall face paper is removed must be coated with zinnser's gardz or most any solvent based primer first. This will seal the gypsum so the moisture in joint compound or latex paint won't disolve the gypsum.

You need to remove all the adhesive if possible [if in doubt prime it], apply joint compound as needed, sand when dry [recoat if needed] and prime. Lightly sand all walls and you are ready for paint

Old 08-04-08, 06:45 PM
Agree. The trickiest part is getting all the paper off. Good luck!