drywalling over drywall

Old 07-28-08, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drywalling over drywall

So I pulled some paneling down in my family room. One wall is salvagable, the other is not. The unsalvagable wall is 'L' shaped, so I'll have one inside corner and two outside corners to deal with. I got some 1/4" drywall to put over the top of the existing. Since I've never done any drywalling I have a few questions.

First, I'm thinking that I should start at the inside corner with a full sheet, but then the edge of the sheet may not line up with a stud. I thought it would be best to stagger the edges of the old and new drywall sheets, but maybe that's not a big issue. It appeaars that the existing sheets start at the end of the longest wall. The short wall of the 'L' is less than a sheet wide.

Second, when I get to my outside corners, do I take off the old corner bead first then put my new ones on?

Third, because I'm going to put up crown molding, I don't really care what the top edge of the new drywall looks like. Because the old wall is "attached" to the ceiling with tape already, is it ok if I don't tape it?

I would appreciate any enlightenment anyone can give me. I think I'm going to try one of the sanding sponges to see if I can keep the dust to a managable level. We'll see how that goes. ; )

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 03:07 PM
I am no drywall guy, but I have taken out walls that someone put new drywall over old. When we started taking it down there was LOTS of mold in between the new and old. That may be something to look out for.. Just a thought..

Travis

Old 07-28-08, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
If moisture isn't an issue, neither should mold -- but I've never taken down any drywall that was laminated with more drywall. Rarely ever seen any mold when removing paneling over drywall.

You can leave the corner bead inplace - just stop your new drywall just short of the corner - make sure the corner bead will set firmly on the new drywall.

Add studs as needed on the open walls. No need to tape the top if crown will cover it.

Old 07-29-08, 06:30 AM
Well I'm not planning on taking the old drywall down. I'd read in a couple of other threads about just putting up 1/4" drywall over the old drywall if it's too damaged. I thought about skim coating it but I know I don't have that kind of patience. There's no moisture problems, this is on the ground floor. 16" on center studs adds up to 48", I guess I just need to hang the sheets in the same position as the existing sheets.