Patching 1/2 inch hole in plaster ceiling

Old 08-06-08, 08:34 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patching 1/2 inch hole in plaster ceiling

Hello,
My Fiance and I recently purchased her Grandmothers old house. Her Grandmother had a knack for putting hooks into the ceilings to hang plants on and whatnot. Anyways, I removed the hooks and I'm left with 1/2 inch holes in the ceilings. I've never worked with plaster before. I have tinkered with drywall which is fairly forgiving. Will a sandable plaster of paris work to fill this in? How do I go about making sure the filler doesn't just drop from the hole? Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
I'm not a plaster guy and one of our plaster pros may be along later with better info.

I'd a use mud and tape like you would for repairing drywall. Feathering out the repair with each coat should make it invisible. I've also used durabond for repairing plaster but it might be difficult to fill an overhead hole with it. I've never used any plaster of paris that I remember.

Last edited by marksr; 08-06-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-08, 04:12 PM
T
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
If the lid is smooth I'd use about anything I could get my hands on that sets quickly. Some P of P or some Durabond or some EasySand or what ever push it into the hole and press it around on the sides of the hole so it gets a bond on the sides. Fill it flush or ever so slightly fuller than flush then sand. Be careful P of P and Durabond don't sand easily. You could wipe over it with a damp cloth just as it sets and hit it once with your trowel or knife or what ever to slick it down.

If it's texture just fill it in then do what ever it takes to blend the texture.
Don't make these larger than the hole and don't make this more complicated than it has to be.

I've heard an old renters' trick is to fill holes with toothpaste. Might work, I don't know these seem a little large to use toothpaste but then I always have some kind of material on hand to fix them properly.