Hole in cupboard

Old 08-10-08, 09:50 PM
Hole in cupboard

Hi,

I have cupboards in my condo that I believe are chipboard/laminate...it looks like someone drilled a hole (about an inch diameter) in the top of one of them, looks like trying to get a cord through or something. I am wondering if there is a way to repair this....

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

How big is the hole? just big enough for the cord? or the plug also?

A small diameter hole can be filled with caulking. You might be able to buy a colored caulk similiar to your cabinet color. A largr hole can be challenging. What part of the cabinet is it on? Is it readily visable? What color?

Old 08-16-08, 08:22 PM
The hole is about an inch and a half in diameter, it was definitely big enough to get both a cord and the plug head through...the cabinets are an off white/light cream colour. there is a hole in the top of one cabinet, and a hole in the bottom. the one in the top is only visible if the cabinet door is open, and the one on the bottom is only visible if you are tall enough to be looking down on it...

Old 08-17-08, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best way to repair the holes would be to install a thin piece of plywood over the top and bottom. You can then use a wood filler [or even joint compound but it won't dry as hard] to level out the hole on the other side. Paint to match.

Old 08-17-08, 01:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can also mount a 1/4" larger hole saw in a drill press, remove the mandrel, clamp a piece of 3/4" plywood to the press table, cut a circle from the plywood. Since it is a bit larger than your existing hole, sand it smooth, and smaller until it fits the hole. Drive it in and just before it goes home, apply wood glue, sand it when dry, prime and paint.

Old 08-17-08, 06:26 PM
Thank you

Thank you so much for the suggestions, I really had no idea how to go about this. We'll be giving it a shot sometime this week